Letter Sounds A to Z App
Use this free program on your computer, tablet, or phone. This app features clear enunciation of the sounds of the 26 alphabet letters. Designed for use with the All About Reading Pre-reading curriculum. (Note: This app contains just the FIRST sound of the letters. Additional sounds are taught on our Phonogram Sounds app.)
Click a letter of the alphabet and hear its most common sound! (If you are on a slow internet connection there may be a slight delay. The downloaded app will not experience this delay.)
- Click a letter and hear the most common sound of that letter
- Features clear enunciation of the sounds of the 26 alphabet letters
- Great for teaching preschoolers the foundational skill of letter knowledge
- Helps prepare your child for learning to read
- Designed for use with the All About Reading Pre-reading curriculum.
You, as the teacher, can learn the letter sounds quickly and accurately before teaching your student. You won’t have to wonder if you are pronouncing them correctly—now you will know for sure!
Letter Sounds FAQ
The Letter Sounds A-Z app is compatible with devices running the OS versions listed below.
- Android 4.4 and later
- Kindle Fire OS 4.4 and later
- iOS 9.0 and later
- Windows XP and later
- OS X 10.9 and later
No, we have three different apps:
- The Phonogram Sounds app is a free app that is included with our programs. Use the app to reinforce the sounds with your child as you are teaching or to learn the sounds before you teach them.
- The Letter Sounds app is a free app for beginning learners that can be used to teach the first sound for each letter in the alphabet.
- The Letter Tiles app is a movable tiles app that is available for purchase for use in place of the physical Letter Tiles, or on days that you want to use reading or spelling on the go. The Letter Tiles app is available for tablets only.
The Letter Sounds app teaches the first sound for each letter of the alphabet.
Please check that your device is compatible with the Letter Sounds app.
Make sure your speakers are on and that the volume is turned up. Test your system sound by playing a YouTube video or something else you know has sound. If your system sound is working, but you can't hear the app sounds, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
First, double-check that you are running the latest version of the app. If you continue to experience issues, please contact us at email@example.com for assistance.
Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org and let us know what device you have! We are always looking to support more of our customers. In the meantime, you can use the online demo above as a fully functioning workaround.
Other App Questions
Some sounds, like /r/, are difficult to capture on audio. Without a vowel sound before or after, they are unintelligible. We recommend that parents work with their children to ensure that the child is saying the sounds correctly. If the child is having any difficulty, you may want to demonstrate the sound in person.
Absolutely not! The app installers only place the code that is required to run the app on your device. The only time we receive data of any kind is when the program checks for updates from our servers. This is only for updates. We do not receive any personally identifying information from your device.