All About Spelling
All About Spelling will help your student become a proficient speller for life. We take the struggle out of spelling!
Developed for busy parents, teachers, and tutors, All About Spelling is a scripted, open-and-go program that teaches spelling in the most effective way possible. This award-winning seven-level program provides complete and comprehensive instruction using the Orton-Gillingham approach. Take our Placement Test.
- Learn phonograms A-Z, plus TH, SH, CH, CK, NG, NK
- Spell words with short vowel sounds containing new phonograms, such as bath, dog, cash, wing, and such
- Spell words with initial blends and compound words, and learn how to segment words with two and three sounds
- Learn phonograms WH, EE, ER, AR, OR, OU, OY, OI, AW, AU, and OW
- Spell Vowel-Consonant-E (VCE) words
- Learn to pluralize words ending in Silent E
- Learn the Open, Closed, and R-controlled syllable types
- Learn phonograms AI, AY, UR, OA, OO, EA, ED, IGH, IR, and EY
- Spell common contractions, such as can't
- Identify C+l-e syllable types
- Learn about consonant suffixes and vowel suffixes
- Learn phonograms TCH, DGE, EW, EI, WR, KN, OR, EIGH, EAR, PH, TI, and OE
- Spell words with the sound of /shŭn/ spelled TION, such as motion
- Learn how to add prefixes
- Learn phonograms SI, IE, OUGH, UI, GN, OUR, and CI
- Spell words with /ē/ spelled EI and IE, as in receive and achieve
- Learn how to add two suffixes to a word
- Form irregular plurals
- Learn phonograms MB, GU, and AUGH
- Spell words ending in IBLE and ABLE, such as flexible and available
- Learn additional suffixes such as AIN, IVE, TURE, ICE, and ATE and how to add suffix LY to C+l-e words
- Spell words containing Latin roots
- Spell words containing Greek word parts
- Spell French, Spanish, and Italian loan words
- Learn when to drop or keep Silent E when adding a suffix
- Learn clues for spelling words with suffix ANCE and suffix ENCE
Spelling Interactive Kit
- This is a one-time purchase that will be used for the entire All About Spelling series
- Basic kit includes Letter Tiles, Magnets, and Divider Cards
- Add Spelling Review Box and Spelling Tote Bag with the Deluxe Kit
Spelling Placement Test
All About Spelling is a building block program: each level builds upon the previous one. In order to build a strong foundation, most students start with Level 1.
Use our placement test to determine which level is best for your student. If you have questions, please contact us and we'd be happy to help!
Download “Six Ways We Make Spelling Easy”
Inside this FREE guide, you’ll discover...
- How to make spelling logical
- Key benefits of the Orton-Gillingham instructional approach
- The main differences between mastery-based and grade-level-based programs…and why it matters
- How to individualize instruction for your student so he can succeed in spelling
What You Should Know about This Program
Easy to Learn
All About Spelling uses powerful teaching methods.
- Multisensory approach makes it easy for kids to understand
- Built-in review system helps learning stick
- Kids look forward to spelling lessons because of the motivating, hands-on activities
- This mastery-based, building block program works with kids who have learning disabilities as well as those who do not
- Our explicit teaching helps students succeed
Easy to Teach
All About Spelling makes your job easy and stress-free.
- 7 levels of comprehensive spelling instruction
- Words are broken down using colored squares to engage multiple senses and make spelling fun
- Building block progression allows even children with learning disabilities to learn rapidly
- 1-Year, 100% money-back guarantee with lifetime support
This isn’t the typical "list-on-Monday, test-on-Friday" approach! Instead, you'll find dozens of proven techniques that are guaranteed to help your student master English spelling. He will learn the sounds of the 26 letters of the alphabet, 45 common letter combinations (such as CK and IGH), and tried-and-true spelling rules.
With these tools, your student can spell the vast majority of English words. In addition, he will get solid strategies for mastering the remaining words, which we call "rule breakers."
By Level 7, your student will be spelling at the high school level.
Homeschoolers and Teachers Love Us
We have loved All About Spelling for our entire homeschool career."Trish Corlew Hip Homeschool Moms
The most effective and fun spelling curriculum we have ever used."Sarah Avila My Joy-Filled Life
All About Spelling helps us make sense of the ‘whys’ of spelling!”Amy Butler
102 Top Picks
The Old Schoolhouse
Our "Go Ahead and Use It" Guarantee
Check out all of the step-by-step lesson plans and reading and spelling tips for ONE FULL YEAR. Treat the program like your own and learn everything the program has to offer.
If you purchase from us and decide it's not for you, simply send the package back (in any condition), and we'll refund your purchase price. No questions asked.
Choosing the right spelling program is an important decision! Check out our Frequently Asked Questions.
Levels and Placement
Use our placement test to determine which level is best for your student. If you have questions, please contact us. We're here to help!
There are seven levels in the All About Spelling program.
After completing Level 7, your child will be spelling at the high school level and should have acquired all the skills needed to spell just about any word. Read more about what you can do after your child completes Level 7.
You can find All About Spelling samples here.
All About Spelling is very effective for struggling learners. Most students start in Level 1 since this is a mastery-based program, not a grade-level program. The program will help fill in the missing gaps and build a strong foundation. See the article Using All About Spelling with Older Students for more information. Contact us if you would like additional help with placement.
Details about Teaching Spelling
As a general rule, we recommend spending 20 minutes per day on spelling. However, you can adjust this recommendation according to your child’s level and attention span. Read Spelling – How Much Time Should I Spend? to learn more.
You do not need to complete an entire Step in one day—some Steps may even take a week or more to cover. The speed at which a step can be completed depends on your child’s age, attention span, prior experience, and the concepts being taught.
The All About Spelling program is completely flexible and customizable, allowing you to breeze through sections that are easy for your child and spend more time on difficult concepts.
Each spelling lesson presents a single new rule or concept. Instead of jumping from one concept to another, children learn spelling in a sequential, orderly way, with words of similar attributes always being taught together. For example, when the sound of /ar/ is taught, children learn words such as barn, car, hard, garden, shark, and smart. For additional reinforcement, the dictation phrases and sentences include words containing the sound of /ar/.
Continual individualized review is a major component of the All About Spelling program. One of the first things you'll do before beginning to teach is set up the Spelling Review Box. AAS uses several different methods to review concepts and spelling words, including flashcards, word analysis, sentence dictation, and writing activities.
Continual review is worked right into the lesson plans to give your child the practice he needs in exactly the areas he needs it, ensuring that he doesn’t forget what you teach him. Take a look at a sample lesson to see how review is handled.
Spelling rules are taught in several ways in our program. First the rule is demonstrated with Letter Tiles to make the concepts crystal clear in your child’s mind. Then the rule is reviewed as many times as necessary until your child masters the concept. And finally, spelling rules and generalizations are also reviewed with flashcards.
Do you have more questions? Please get in touch! We're happy to help.
Ready to Get Started?
Choose a level below!