Use the placement tests below as a guide to help determine which level of All About Reading is best for your student. Please note that level numbers do not correspond with grade levels.
All About Spelling is a building block program–each level builds upon the previous one. The rules and concepts learned in Level 1 are applied in Level 2, and then those are applied in Level 3, and so on. For this reason, we recommend that most students start with Level 1. Since AAS is mastery-based, the level numbers do not correspond to grade levels. For example, Level 1 doesn't have to be completed in first grade.
Still have questions? Check out the resources below:
Is my student ready to start spelling?
- We recommend starting spelling instruction once the student has completed AAR Level 1, or the equivalent. Read more about the right time to start spelling instruction.
Which level should my student start in?
- To prevent any gaps in knowledge, we suggest that most students start with Level 1. Learn more about which spelling level to start with.
- Placement is based on concept knowledge and not which words a student has memorized. You can download lesson samples for each level of All About Spelling to review these concepts.
- If you think your student might be able to start at a higher level, please take a look through the scope and sequence PDFs to determine where he or she might have gaps in concept knowledge. Just know that the student has to know all of the earlier rules and strategies to start in a higher level.
- AAS can be easily adapted for use with older students. We offer a variety of useful tips here.
Do you have additional questions about placement? We are happy to help. Contact us today!